This relatively small project has housed some famous names. It has been home to Facebook, Expedia, lastminute.com and Kandy Krush. It has a remarkable history. Seven Dials warehouse dating from 1890 is in the heart of London’s Covent Garden, but was still a byword for urban poverty in the early 20th century. In 1999 the wedge-shaped former brewery between Earlham Street and Shelton Street, which had survived World War II and the plan to redevelop Covent Garden, was sadly destroyed by fire. The lower floors remained intact but upper floors of timber and cast iron were lost in the intense heat. The remains of the building were subsequently spot-listed. Belgo Restaurant, a Covent Garden favourite, continued to trade from the ground floor and basement while we carefully restored the building, with up to date workspaces behind the retained and rebuilt façade. The existing damaged structure was removed to provide new office space on the third, fourth and fifth levels. A new glass roof structure follows the line of the brewery watertanks to replicate the massing of the original building. This mixed-use scheme retains the well know restaurant and two floors of retail at street level, Covent Garden Community Centre on the second floor with the offices above.
“Fletcher Priest’s commitment to this complex office and retail scheme has been consistently excellent throughout its long gestation period (including obtaining planning and listed building consents) and construction. The commitment has culminated in a substantial pre-let being secured, again reflecting FPA’s considerable expertise.”
Matthew Wooder, Schroders